Legal & Rights Adviser
- Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Salary & Flexible Benefits
- Job Advert Description
We have a new opportunity for a Legal and Rights Adviser to join us in our Bristol office, supporting a small and busy in-house legal team.
As a Legal and Rights Adviser, you will work across two connected functions. You will assist in the provision of legal advice to IOP Publishing’s staff and will also be responsible for managing the rights, licensing and permissions function.
You will work across a range of legal areas, data protection and intellectual property, both in the UK and Internationally. You will also assist the Senior Group Legal Adviser and the Group Legal Adviser in advising the IOP Publishing Board and management teams on a full range of legal areas to ensure regulatory and legislative compliance. In addition, you will help in the implementation of appropriate processes and procedures to ensure such compliance and will assist in the performance of company secretarial functions. As part of the rights, licensing and permissions function you will ensure that appropriate policies and procedures are in place and will manage responses to requests to use content, including via the rights and permissions mailbox, which will be from both internal and external sources. You will advise on copyright wording in contracts with partners and other third parties.
- Qualified lawyer or legal executive/paralegal, ideally with in-house legal experience, such that the job holder can deal with diverse legal and permissions issues in a professional manner and provide advice (which is both commercially focused and legally accurate) to diverse parts of the business
- Good knowledge of, and experience in, commercial and copyright law and their application in practice, particularly in terms of application to permission management and wider business projects
- Experience of the application of data protection law would be beneficial
- Strategic and commercial mindset
- Excellent communication skills, ability to explain complex legal concepts in a clear and concise way
- Excellent drafting skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills and ability to juggle a number of pieces of work simultaneously
- Good presentation skills
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to provide solutions and recommendations
- Ability to consider things calmly and logically, even when under pressure
About the benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer employees a comprehensive benefits package including an excellent pension scheme, discretionary annual bonus scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and generous annual leave, and a range of flexible benefits including childcare vouchers and gym membership. We also have a subsidised café which is a popular, sociable spot for meetings and lunch.
Our modern and contemporary offices are based in the thriving city centre of Bristol, a stone’s throw away from Temple Meads train station, and within walking distance of Cabot Circus shopping centre, and numerous cafés and restaurants. Named on more than one occasion as the best city in the UK to live in, Bristol is a cosmopolitan and creative city boasting a historic harbour, internationally renowned cultural institutions and home to world-class festivals and events.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter through our careers site highlighting your relevant skills and experience and why you are interested in this opportunity and IOP Publishing.
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme, is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of eBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, we recognise that every single person has a real part to play if we are to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
- Closing Date