- Salary & Benefits
- Competitive + Excellent Benefits
- Job Advert Description
The Information Management team is responsible for developing the architecture and tools the business needs to drive valuable, actionable insight from our data.
This role is an exciting opportunity to join the team at a time of change, as we make transformational improvements to our architecture, governance, and capability in order to build a more powerful, flexible and resilient platform. There is an opportunity to grow with the team, as we implement new technology and approaches, and evolve to take on a leading role in developing innovative data strategy for the business.
The Data Engineer will be responsible for identifying, developing and supporting solutions to meet our customers’ needs, working closely with the customers and having ownership of the development process, whilst working with the rest of the team to shape the platform for the future as we respond to business change.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic IOP Publishing is currently working remotely.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Responsible for design, development and support of the software owned by the product team
- Creates designs for solutions in the product team, based on analysis of customer requirements.
- Support the adoption of simplified architecture.
- Shared responsibility for infrastructure maintenance and support.
- Maintains AWS (or a similar provider) to configure services, set up permissions, deploy software.
- Maintains various SaaS (Software as a Service) systems.
- Designs, maintains and configures the databases that make up the IOP software landscape.
- Designs, maintains and contributes to the automated test suites.
- Support agile ways of working and participate actively in sprint reviews and retrospectives.
- Responsible for setting up and maintaining continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Shared responsibility for the reduction of TOIL through automation.
- Contribute to Incident Management process through investigating and fixing issues. Attend retrospective lessons learned meetings and implement follow up actions.
- Responsible for keeping the systems secure: Contributes to team security metric report. Supports regular security reviews and penetration testing where appropriate. Reports security risks to the Engineering Manager. Includes security considerations in all design decisions.
- Support the implementation of the company’s technical strategy.
- To deliver competently engineered cost-effective solutions
- To focus on iterative delivery of MVP
- Collaborate with non-technical team members to conduct user research and can sell or represent users internally.
- Help to prioritise and defines approaches to understand the user story, guiding others in doing so.
- Technical degree or equivalent experience
- Understanding of fundamentals of Computer Science
- Certifications preferred: SQL, AWS
- Python and/or C#
- SQL Server (T-SQL, stored procedures, functions, SSIS/SSDT)
- Data warehouse concepts, modelling, design, best practice, data lake
- Agile (scrum) methodology
- Source control (Git, Liquibase)
- Data pipeline development in AWS – Glue (PySpark), Lambda, Kinesis, Step Functions
- CI/CD – AWS CodePipeline, CodeDeploy, CloudFormation
- Business Objects
- Power BI
- Experience working with complex data sets including big data, PII, transactional and content meta-data
- Approachable and supportive
- Future focused
- Good communication skills and team working ability
About the benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer employees a comprehensive benefits package including an excellent pension scheme, discretionary annual bonus scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and generous annual leave, and a range of flexible benefits including cycle to work and gym membership. We also have a subsidised café which is a popular, sociable spot for meetings and lunch.
Our modern and contemporary offices are based in the thriving city centre of Bristol, a stone’s throw away from Temple Meads train station, and within walking distance of Cabot Circus shopping centre, and numerous cafés and restaurants. Named on more than one occasion as the best city in the UK to live in, Bristol is a cosmopolitan and creative city boasting a historic harbour, internationally renowned cultural institutions and home to world-class festivals and events.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter through our careers site highlighting your previous experience and how it applies to the role, and why you are interested in this opportunity and IOP Publishing.
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of eBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth we recognise that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
- Closing Date